Office of Research, Innovation and Commercialisation (ORIC)
The Research Office was established in the Aga Khan University in 1999. We were one of the first six universities to be recognized as having an Office of Research, Innovation and Commercialisation (ORIC) by the HEC vide their letter dated January 1, 2011. As guided by HEC, the office aims to serve as a pivotal point, encompassing all the research activities - from the development of research proposal to the commercialisation of research products.
The ORIC facilitates faculty in matters related to research including but not limited to extramural grants, notably when the granting source requires a central submission of the proposal. Notably, HEC will not accept any grants from a Principal investigator unless it is routed through the ORIC. It also facilitates faculty members in obtaining internal grants funded by the university.
- It advises on matters related to funding opportunities and regular emails are sent from the office notifying all faculty of potential funding opportunities.
- It supports the strategic research directions of the university through its support to the University Research Council, the apex research body of the university and in developing research related policies for AKU.
- It helps to convert successful research into activities which benefit the public and disadvantaged communities through AKU's emphasis on quality, impact, relevance and access.
- It keeps a record of grants obtained, publications and advises on ethical approval. In coordination with the legal office, it also facilitates faculty in matters relating to contracts/agreements sign off, Material & Data Transfer agreements, innovation and patenting.
- It helps to develop and strengthen university-industry relationships. The ORIC monitors that deliverables including reports are sent in a timely manner in compliance to contractual requirements. This cements relationships and repeats chances for further collaboration.
- It promotes and encourages multi-disciplinary thematic research within and outside the university.
- It promotes innovation through the Technology and Innovation Support Centre (TISC).
- It conducts regular workshops to promote good research practices and inspire innovation.
Core Facilities and Equipment
The university facilitates bench researchers by arranging adequate and fully equipped laboratory spaces and core facilities. The facilities include a Bio-Safety Level 2 as well as a Bio-Safety Level 3 laboratory.
Innovation and Incubation
The university encourages innovation in research and the ORIC facilitates faculty, students and staff to patent their products. Regular innovation competition through "Hackathons" are held to encourage the culture of innovation through its Critical Creative Innovative Thinking (CCIT) forum.
AKU's research and other outputs have resulted in benefits to others, especially the disadvantaged sections of the community. Click here to read the latest news on research.
Salima Sherali, Director ORIC
Melaine D'Cruze, Manager (Research Operations & Development -ROD)
Saleem Sayani, Manager (University-Industrial Linkages and Technology Transfer -UILTT)
- Fizza Kazmi, Manager (Intellectual Property/Legal Services - IP)
- Munira Didar, Manager (Research Operations & Monitoring)
- Aisha Shahnawaz, Manager (Research Operations & Development - ROD/TISC)
- Jack Fernandes, Publications / Communications Specialist
- Fatema Jawed, Research Associate
- Sana Ramzan, Research Associate
- Gulzar Alnoor, Research Associate
- Nabeel Ahmed, Research Associate
- Murtaza Moosa Ali, Accountant