Research Laboratory, Juma Building
About the Lab
The Research Laboratory at Juma Building has been a key feature
of the University infrastructure for research since 1999. At any given
time, teams of energetic and dedicated researchers
work in the areas of immunohistochemistry, cell and
molecular biology, bacteriology, virology, parasitology, genetics,
cancer and tissue banking.
- Keeping in view of the regional spectrum of health needs and
pattern of communicable diseases, this was the first purpose-built and
fully functional Biosafety Level 3 facility in Pakistan that allowed
researchers to conduct work on exotic and potentially lethal bacteria
- This lab has also functioned as a preemptive unit to introduce new
laboratory techniques that became preferred bio-analytical methods in research
and diagnostics at the University Hospital. Till 2004, it was the only facility in
Pakistan that could offer Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) testing for
tuberculosis. Eventually, the PCR technology was acquired by the Aga
Khan University Hospital Laboratory and national labs.
- Only facility that could support testing for
anthrax in the 2001 bio-terrorism case at a leading newspaper’s office in Karachi, Pakistan.
- Research Laboratory, Juma Lab regularly back-stops the University Hospital labs for several key tests.
- To date, 60 projects have been completed and 151 papers published based on the work done in the lab.
- Biosafety Level-2 Laboratory supports working with organisms/ biological samples of moderate risk.
- BSL2 has an open hall area with 36 research benches available on fair-usage policy.
Each bench space has:
a computer with full access to the internet
safety hoods connected to the central exhaust system
basic equipment: centrifuges, water baths, hotplate, pH meters and vortexes
Under-counter fridges are available on almost all benches.
State-of-the-art microscopy and tissue culture suite
State-of-the-art imaging suite
Biological safety cabinets,
Sophisticated equipment: Refrigerated centrifuges and CO2 incubators.
- Storage facility with ULT freezers and liquid nitrogen tank for biological samples.
Stored items include consumables, chemicals and reagents, and biological samples (imported cell lines and antibodies).
Round-the-clock electricity supply.
Safe environment (Restricted access, logging and monitoring and surveillance round the clock).
Efficient alarms (hooter, fire bell, smoke/fume detectors).