Technology Innovation Support Centre (TISC)
The Higher Education Commission (HEC) of Pakistan in collaboration with Intellectual Property Organization Pakistan and Ministry of Science & Technology recently announced the formation of the Technology Innovation Support Centre (TISC).
Reporting to the Associate Vice Provost, TISC was established at the Aga Khan University (AKU) in February 2018 under the umbrella of the University's Research Office (ORIC). TISC has a mandate to facilitate an enabling environment to promote the creation of intellectual property (IP) portfolio resulting from research conducted by the University's faculty, staff and students.
TISC at AKU offers the following services:
- Assist researchers to search for IP databases.
- Assist the development of ideas and concepts with a novelty/innovation lens.
- Assist the preparation of patent applications.
- Assist in filing patents.
- Create IP awareness by conducting information sessions for students, faculty and staff.
During 2018, TISC performed the following activities under its direction:
- Participated in a workshop organized by HEC on patent search held in March.
- Conducted 2 information sessions (April and August) for AKU staff and students on "Why to Patent?".
- Executed information session on "Research to Innovation" organized by the Research Office in April 2018.
- Conducted information sessions on "Infusion of Technology in Research" organized by CHS and Department of Medicine in May and September respectively.
- Initiated collaboration processes with 3 Universities in Pakistan. This will result in 3 partnerships in 2019.
- Filed 5 patents each in Pakistan and USA in 2018.
The AKU TISC works closely with Intellectual Property Office (IPO) Pakistan to create IP awareness amongst the students, faculty and staff at AKU.
For more information please contact: