Education and Research
Our Section meets the institution's educational objectives by:
- Providing bedside teachings to residents during the daily rounds.
- Teaching using interactive case-based discussions.
- Training residents on the fundamentals of critical care medicine including diagnosis, management, and treatment of the critically ill.
Supervising resident dissertations, case reports, abstracts and poster presentations.
Participating in local, national and international seminars, meetings, and conferences.
Educating faculty and other providers on evidence-based critical care medicine.
- Implementing quality improvement projects to develop best medical practices.
- Supervising Emergency Medicine Diploma trainees.
Current Research Projects
- Decub ICUs: Pressure Ulcers in Intensive Care Units: A global point-prevalence study. (2017). Wangari Waweru-Siika.
MMed Theses Research
Investigating MPM III, SOFA and Delta-SOFA scoring systems as predictors of mortality at the Aga Khan University ICU: A retrospective cohort study. (2017). Wangari Waweru-Siika.
A descriptive cross-sectional study to investigate nutritional status in adult patients admitted in critical care unit for more than seven days using subjective global assessment and anthropometric measurements at Aga Khan University. (2017). David Misango.
Clinical factors related to mortality in patients with invasive Acinetobacter infection. (2017). Wangari Waweru-Siika.