Paediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes Service
The Endocrinology and Diabetes services within the Department of Paediatrics and Child Health is a specialized unit dedicated to diagnosing, treating, and managing Endocrine disorders and diabetes in Paediatric patients.
Endocrine disorders in children refer to conditions that affect the endocrine system, a network of glands that produce and release hormones (or chemicals produced by the specialized glands to control and regulate the activity of certain cells and organs) essential for regulating important functions of the body. This ranges from normal growth and puberty to water and electrolyte balance, sexual development, blood glucose control.
Our team has a national and international reputation as a leader in clinical care, research and training in Paediatric Endocrinology. Our mission is to provide world-class service, research and training in the investigation and management of disorders of the endocrine system in children and adolescents.
We look after young people from birth to late adolescence (0 to18 years of age) with a wide variety of hormone disorders, such as:
Diabetes mellitus (Type 1, Type 2 and genetic forms of diabetes)
- Growth, pituitary and pubertal disorders
- Bone health and calcium metabolism
- Differences/Disorders of sex development
- Thyroid disorders
- Adrenal disorders
- Congenital Hyperinsulinism (excessive insulin production leading to low blood glucose)
- Weight above the healthy range
We look after children with hormonal consequences of other conditions and their therapies such as:
- Late endocrine effects of cancer treatment in children (for childhood cancer survivors)
- Endocrine problems in children with transfusion dependent disorders
- Endocrine manifestations of various syndromes (Down, Turner, Russel Silver, Bardet Biedl, Prader-Willi Syndrome)
We offer newborn screening for two endocrine conditions (Congenital Hypothyroidism and Congenital Adrenal Hypoplasia) at our hospital. Our team works in coordination with the Genetics team.
We run a two-year fellowship training program in Pediatric Endocrinology which has been accredited by the College of Physicians & Surgeons of Pakistan.