The Adolescent, Youth Health and Well being Symposium has organized by Aga Khan University, in collaboration with the International Centre for Reproductive Health (ICRH) and Jumuiya ya Kaunti za Pwani (JKP) and will look at partnership resolutions to strengthen adolescent and youth health policies in coastal counties.
Adolescence is a critical period in the life-course and presents many opportunities for intervention to enhance health then and for later adulthood. East Africa has a considerable adolescent population bulge with the challenge of the “demographic dividend” to be achieved. AKU and partners agreed to hold a two-day Symposium in the Coastal region, Kenya, on Adolescent and Youth Health and Wellbeing.
The objectives are to:
- Identify adolescent and youth health and wellbeing priorities for the region
- Translate evidence-based knowledge into policies and practices, and strategies
- Develop and propose efficient and costed mechanisms and interventions to implement and monitor adolescent and youth health strategies
- Develop stronger collaboration and commitment to adolescent and youth health and wellbeing between governments, stakeholders, civil society, NGO’s, private sector and development partners
The two days will include:
- Keynote lectures
- Workshops and moderated discussions
- Panel discussion
Topic areas to be covered in the workshops will be as follows:
- New insights in adolescent and youth health and wellbeing, such as human capital enhancement, the life-course approach and changing epidemiology
- Important and emerging topics such as teenage pregnancies, access to contraceptives and prevention of unsafe abortion, sexual and reproductive health and rights, gender-based violence, new HIV infections, NCDs like mental health, injuries, substance misuse and nutrition, disabilities.
- Realizing adolescent rights at national and local government levels
- Co-creating services and projects with adolescents, co-creation and integration with school health and education
- Multisectoral work to optimize adolescent health involving youth networks and young leaders
- Research priorities in adolescent health
- Commitments from Governments, local and global development agencies and partners
Download the programme
Follow the conversation: #AdolescentHealth