The Aga Khan University is an autonomous, international institution of distinction, primarily serving the developing world and Muslim societies in innovative and enduring ways. To this end, the Vision of the Institute is to lead action-focused research to uplift the health and development in the communities of Asia and Africa.
The Aga Khan University is committed to the development of human capacities through the discovery and dissemination of knowledge, and application through service. To this end, IGHD will:
- Offer programmes of international quality
- Respond to identified needs in the countries and regions which it serves
- Prioritise teaching and research which will inform and underpin intellectual innovation and change
- Provide service to advance its educational and research mandate
- Foster and develop leadership capacity through its education and research programmes.
- Assess its impact and effectiveness
- Promote access and equity by taking positive measures to make the University inclusive of all socio-economic groups, addressing the particular needs and circumstances of the disadvantaged, promoting the welfare and advancement of women
- Engage in knowledge networking and emerging technologies
- Add value by promoting partnership and networking across the Aga Khan Development Network, and with other national and international institutions
AKU is inspired by Islamic ethics, humanistic ideals and the philosophy of the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN). The Institute will uphold these values while committing to building an environment that fosters intellectual freedom, distinction in scholarship, pluralism, compassion, and humanity's collective responsibility for a sustainable physical, social and cultural environment.
In addition to these values, AKU's aspirations remain focused on:
- Impact – solving problems facing millions of people.
- Quality – meeting high international standards and inspiring others to do the same.
- Relevance – producing research with useful applications and graduates with needed skills.
- Access – serving our communities regardless of financial and geographic barriers.