The Institute draws on the resources of Aga Khan University and the AKDN. AKU's research capacities including both university-based facilities and extensive clinical and field research sites. Our pioneering faculty members and state-of-the-art hospitals in Karachi and Nairobi are augmented by community-based hospitals and clinics, hundreds of clinical laboratories across Pakistan and East Africa, and far-reaching home health and telehealth services. Our institutes and research centres conduct research and offer training that extend across the disciplines of social and health sciences.
The Aga Khan Development Network adds further resources, notably through the coordinating and funding capacity of the Aga Khan Foundation and the complementary research and academic programs of the University of Central Asia. These and other agencies of the AKDN allow the Institute for Global Health and Development to operate large-scale, multidisciplinary, global health and development projects like no other in the regions served.
In addition, the Institute accesses increasingly sophisticated infrastructure and talent supporting areas of interest such as innovation and data science.
Examples of our resources:
- World-class faculty
- Research cohorts for cross-regional, large-scale, longitudinal studies
- Supportive funding consortia
- State-of-the-art facilities
- Academic programs for training emerging community, clinical and research leaders
The Institute has developed two reports for public use to provide valuable information to all internal and external stakeholders.
1. Harnessing AKU's Capacities: This report provides a background information on the Institute, AKU's work history in relevant thematic areas, and our findings from AKU wide consultations and surveys conducted to establish the Institute.
2. Working Directories of Potential Partners and Funders: Working on pressing global health challenges requires interdisciplinary and collaborative work. This report is supported by two directories to support outreach and engagement to relevant partners and funders.
The directories are "living documents" and if you have any comments or suggestions, please contact us
so we can improve our database.
Inaugural Webinar Series - Recordings
Webinar #1: Climate Change, Health and Development
September 14, 2020
Read the blog here!
Webinar #2: Agriculture, Nutrition and Food Systems
October 28, 2020
Read the blog here.
Webinar #3: Women in Science and Global Health
November 25, 2020
The Earthshot Prize
The Aga Khan Development Network announced a partnership with His Royal Highness Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, global philanthropic leaders and other organisations to launch The Earthshot Prize. The Prize encourages new solutions to environmental challenges by awarding five one-million pound prizes each year to individuals and organizations that develop innovative approaches to fixing the climate, cleaning the air, protecting and restoring nature, reviving oceans, and building a waste-free world. More information can be found here.