Education and Research
Our Section meets the institution's educational objectives by:
- Organizing a nephrology module for internal medicine residents focusing on the pathophysiology, diagnosis, and management of various kidney disorders.
- Conducting regular workshops on hemodialysis, peritoneal dialysis, and vascular access
- Coordinating bi-weekly nephro-pathology conferences with nephrologists and pathologists to discuss renal biopsies and pathology.
- Supervising and teaching internal medicine residents in the outpatient clinics.
- Giving case-based lectures for internal medicine residents.
- Conducting a weekly journal club.
- Supervising internal medicine resident dissertations, case reports, abstract, and other publications.
- Mentoring internal medicine residents.
- Educating faculty and other providers on evidence-based nephrology developments and guidelines.
- Participating in local, national and international committees, conferences, and events.
Current Research Projects
• Thyroid disorders in End Stage Renal Disease, 2017. Ahmed Sokwala.
Varwani MH, Sokwala A. Treatment of steroid-resistant focal segmental glomerulosclerosis with rituximab: A case report and review of literature. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl. 2017; 28(5):1175-1179.
Kirui N, Sokwala A. A case of refractory thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura treated with plasmapheresis and rituximab. S Afr Med J. 2016;106(7):689-91.
Shavadia J, Sayed S, Revathi G, Sokwala A, Abdullah MS. Cryptococcosis, an unusual cause of gross proteinuria in an HIV-infected patient. NDT Plus. 2009;2(2):185-7. doi: 10.1093/ndtplus/sfn202. PMID: 25949329.
Nelson M, Azwa A, Sokwala A, Harania RS, Stebbing J. Fanconi syndrome and lactic acidosis associated with stavudine and lamivudine therapy. AIDS. 2008;22(11):1374-6. doi: 10.1097/QAD.0b013e328303be50.PMID: 18580619.