Fuelled by imagination to influence, inspire, and implement change.
The ‘Big Tent’ philosophy: The Brain and Mind Institute partners across borders and disciplines in pursuit of a common goal: the development of better and more accessible treatments for conditions of the brain and mind, improving health outcomes now and for future generations.
The Brain and Mind Institute is focused on building capacity across the research pipeline, from discovery research to translation of research into care (implementation science), spanning from neuron to the neighbourhood.
The goals of our research are to:
- Promote mental well-being, stigma reduction and resiliency for all communities.
- Identify mental health problems early and support effective, culturally sensitive interventions
- Integrate research and interventions to impact care
- Innovate novel health solutions using technology and digital approaches
The thematic areas of research are based on contemporary and contextual challenges, and include:
- Mental health conditions, including depression, suicide, and anxiety disorders.
- Neurological conditions including neurotrauma, epilepsy, stroke, and dementia.
- Co-morbidity of mental ill-health with cancer, diabetes, and heart disease.
The Brain and Mind Institute will undertake cutting-edge research aimed at improving mental and neurological health across the lifespan, but especially among women, adolescents, and disadvantaged populations.