The Department of Radiology and Diagnostic Imaging started in 1959 with a single Radiologist and only offered general radiography. In 2004, the department started a Master of Medicine Residency Training Program. Most of the Instructors and Faculty are alumni of the Residency Program which has produced top-notch Radiologists who have ventured into various fields of Radiology both locally and internationally.
These include many who have gone for fellowship training abroad in the areas of feto-maternal imaging, oncologic imaging, nuclear medicine, body imaging, breast imaging, neuroradiology, interventional radiology and cardiothoracic imaging. In addition, many have gone on to set up comprehensive imaging centers across the country and few others are now practicing in Europe, USA and Australia.
The training program has helped to grow the number of Radiologists and sub-specialists in the country and therefore provided these much needed services to the population; data shows that up to half of the population in Low and Middle Income Countries (LMICs) do not have access to Radiology services. Our Faculty are also members of local and international radiology associations and keep abreast with the latest updates with an emphasis on evidence-based practice.
The department is involved in various research projects with both local and international collaborators and the residents undertake dissertation thesis projects as part of their Master of Medicine Residency Training. We run a 24 hour imaging service and are conveniently housed on the ground floor adjacent to the main entrance of the hospital. The department is connected by teleradiology services to the Aga Khan Outreach clinics in the country.