Education and Research
The Section of Hematology plays an important role teaching our internal medicine residents on the general principles of blood disorders and blood cancers.
Our Section further enhances the institution’s education objective by:
- Active teaching and supervision of internal medicine and clinical pathology residents undertaking their master’s degrees at the Aga Khan University Hospital.
- Supervision and interpretation of bone marrow aspirates and trephine biopsies
- Supervision and teaching of residents rotating in the hematology outpatient clinics
- Supervision and teaching of residents on inpatient rounds.
- Evidence based lectures to the faculty and other staff members
- Participation in local, national and international seminar, symposiums and meetings
- Mentorship of residents
- Supervision of resident dissertations, case reports, abstracts and poster presentations.
- Peer review publications in local and international journals.
Ongoing active research in multiple myeloma as it presents in the black population, with preliminary results being published in international journals. Our section also has an ongoing study looking at patients with chronic myeloid leukemia presenting with deafness. Our additional areas on interest include: continued research in malignant lymphomas and acute myeloid leukemia.
Immunophenotypic Profile of Acute Leukemias. (2010). MS Riyat.
Immunophenotyping of Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia / Small Lymphocytic Lymphoma. (2012). MS Riyat.
Malignant Lymphoma Subtypes in a Private Hospital in Nairobi – A Retrospective Cross-sectional Study. (2011). MS Riyat.
Okinda NA, Riyat M.S Bone marrow examination findings at Aga Khan University Hospital, Nairobi. E. Afr. Med J. 2010; 87(1):531 – 535.
Kabera B, Macharia W, Pamnani R, Riyat MS, Immunotypic profile of acute leukemia in Nairobi. E. Afr. Med. J. 2013; 90(3):82-85.
4. Kiraka G, Etabale M, Riyat MS A review of 74 patients with newly diagnosed multiple myeloma at a tertiary referral hospital in Nairobi, Kenya J. Afr. Cancer 2014; 6:70-74
E. Mulwa-Babu, D. Paresh, Riyat M S Chronic lymphocytic leukemia in Kenya: an immunophenotypic and clinicopathologic study. J. Afr. Cancer 2013; 4:192-197