About the Centre
The Centre for Innovation in Medical Education (CIME) in the Aga Khan University campus in Karachi is a donor funded facility comprising three buildings - the Maryam Bashir Dawood Building, the Ibn Sina Building and the Shiraz Boghani Building. The buildings, completed and commissioned in November 2015, are located adjacent to the AKU School of Nursing and Midwifery and cover an area of 80,000 square feet. We are the first simulation-based educational institute in South Asia to be accredited by the US-based Society for Simulation in Healthcare, SSH. The Centre is the most advanced healthcare teaching and learning centre in Pakistan as well as in the region, and is comparable to the best in the world.
CIME, by promoting excellence in education, innovation and research and by bridging traditional boundaries between professions, will become a strategic resource for AKU, AKDN, the nation and the region.
CIME aims to transform education in Nursing, Medicine, Dentistry and Allied Health professions in Pakistan through partnerships and through raising expectations of what is possible in education, innovation, and learning through technology. It has the potential to become a regional leader and be on a par with the best simulation centres globally. The Centre intends on transitioning from being an ‘Excellent Centre’ to a ‘Centre of Excellence’ where teaching and learning are directly linked to improved practitioner performance and improved patient outcomes.
The Goals of CIME are to
- Integrate simulation into the undergraduate and postgraduate medical education programmes in AKU, across campuses.
- Serve as a resource for all AKU and AKDN.
- Develop new programmes of learning to serve the needs of practitioners regionally and nationally.
- Facilitate inter-professional learning in practice contexts.
- Initiate simulation-based research and innovation.
- Build leaders in simulations and simulation-based medical education.
- Build collaborations in research, innovation and education, including collaborations with industry.
- Become recognised and accredited internationally as a “Centre of Excellence”.