Online Teaching in Higher Education Programme
Online Teaching in Higher Education (OTHE) is a certificate programme designed to support faculty members in reflecting on and organizing, developing, and facilitating online learning based on proven practices such as Inclusive Teaching, Universal Design for Learning (UDL), authentic assessment and active learning/facilitation techniques at AKU.
What will you learn?
By the end of the programme, you will be able to:
- Describe the principles of online teaching within an AKU context.
- Develop an online strategy to meet the needs of students and the programme
- Apply Inclusive Teaching and Universal Design for Learning principles in online courses.
- Design assessments in online environments following the constructive alignment framework.
- Facilitate online learning using a blend of asynchronous and synchronous pedagogies based on the learning flow framework.
Who is it for?
The programme is for faculty members from all AKU programmes and disciplines who have prior experience in online teaching.
How does it work?
To complete the requirements of the certificate in Online Teaching in Higher Education, participants will be required to take four courses.
All the courses will be offered through blended online approaches. Participants can progress through approximately 80% of the courses in their own time. About 20% of the courses will be taught via synchronous sessions.
- Select and Register for a course(s). The programme has four courses. Each course is for 3 weeks with a focus on a particular pedagogical element essential for online course design and teaching. Participants can select and enrol in any course based on their individual needs.
- Each course will require approximately 25 hours of work, including reading articles, watching videos, reflecting on practice, engaging in discussions, posting in reflective journals, and submitting assignments. They can complete 80% of the course in their own time. There will be one synchronous session every Thursday from 4:00 pm to 5:30 pm PKT/ 2:00 pm to 3:30 pm EAT.
- Receive a digital badge at the end of each course. The badges can be downloaded and exported and added to faculty portfolio(s) and micro-credentialing backpack(s). After completing one course and earning a badge, participants can enrol in another course at a time that is convenient to them.
- Become an online practitioner. Receive a certificate at the end of the four courses. The programme will help faculty improve their online teaching practices and develop the necessary competencies to incorporate an appropriate blend of asynchronous and synchronous pedagogies that adhere to AKU quality standards.
OTHE Programme Courses:
For additional information regarding the programme, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org