“Governance and Islam in East Africa: Muslims and the State”
III. Key Questions – Politics
• What is the interplay and fusion of culture, religion, and politics in addressing religio-political issues in East Africa?
• How are notions of legitimacy, agency, and interpretation related to the flow and dynamism of religio-politics in East Africa and what are the strategies they give rise to?
• What has been the response(s) of governments in East Africa to Muslim development?
• Is Muslim ‘progress’/’development’ dependent on government attitudes and policies? Does ‘ethnicity’ have a role in aiding or retarding such ‘progress’/’development’? (What is meant by Muslim ‘progress’/’development’? To what extent is it connected to national progress/development?).
• What is the role of civil society in the politics of East Africa?
• Issues around militancy/violence/security of and for Muslims
• Islamic political parties – how do they function? Who funds them?