The Department of Community Health Sciences at AKU is offering a short course on fundamentals of Epidemiology, Biostatistics and Quantitative Research. CHS houses the largest academic group of epidemiologists, statisticians and demographers in Pakistan. Throughout the whole course, participants will have the opportunity to work with their own data under guidance of the experienced faculty. Goal
The course will enable health professionals in developing a scientifically sound and practical approach to identify challenging public health problems and their effective solutions by developing a valid research proposal. Course OutlineConcepts Building:
- Design and analysis of epidemiological studies: case-control, cohort, cross-sectional and intervention studies
- Epidemiological strategies of disease control, screening and outbreak investigation
- Statistical methods in epidemiology, including t-test, chi-square test, sample size calculation
- Basic data analysis using SPSS software
- Hands-on experience of applying concepts and skills learned to address an identified health problem
- Budgeting aspects of research to seek funds for the conduct of research
Dr Muslima Ejaz, MBBS, MSc Epidemiology Senior Instructor, AKU-CHS
- Healthcare professionals interested in developing skills in clinical and public health research
- Anyone interested to gain basic knowledge on the subject
April 24-May 12, 2017 from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm (5 days a week)
Department of Community Health Sciences in collaboration with Department of Continuing Professional EducationThe Aga Khan University Department of Continuing Professional Education is accredited by the Pakistan Medical & Dental Council (PMDC) and the American Association of Continuing Medical Education (AACME) to provide continuing medical education.
The American Association of Continuing Medical Education (AACME) designates this live educational activity for a maximum of 88.0 AACME Category 1 Credit(s). Each participant should only claim those hours of credit that he/she actually spent in the educational activity.