Requirements and Procedures
Process for scheduling
Please read all instructions carefully, before filing in elective application form. Failure to comply with any instruction will result in your not being scheduled. Incomplete application will not be processed.
Please also note that information and eligibility criteria for elective experience are subject to change. Due to variable nature of elective offerings this office reserves the right to change clerkship assignments at any time.
- Clerkships are four weeks long and are available to full time students in good academic standing
- Student must be in their final year of medical college in order to be eligible for the clinical rotation and must be fluent in English
- Students remain registered at their own schools while participating in elective rotations at Aga Khan University
- We will consider only one application for a month once you are scheduled for a clerkship, no changes in the elective s are allowed. If you are not scheduled, you cannot submit additional elective choices for the same month
- Students applied for elective , she/he will be notified one month prior to elective period
- It is recommended that students provide AKU with malpractice letter and health insurance forms. The students undertake all elective s and their own risk and responsibility. Any damages occurring in the course of their rotation will have to be made good before seeking clearance from this office
- It is important to keep this office updated with one's current mailing address and contact home phone number or email address
In order for your application to be processed, the following items must be included :
- Completed application form
- Processing fee
- Supporting letter
- Proof of personal medical insurance coverage (for international visiting students)
- Request for accommodation if required.
In addition to these please see:
- The Section A of the form is to be completed by the applicant. Section B is to be completed by the (applicant's) Dean or the Dean's designated officer.
- Applications must be accompanied by a complete mark-sheet/transcript. Incomplete applications will not be processed (photocopies should be attested and should be cut in the size of application form).
- Elective application processing fee (non-refundable) is US$ 100 or its equivalent in Pakistani rupees for applicant studying abroad. For applicants studying in Pakistan , the non refundable elective application processing fee is Rs. 500. The fee is payable through a bank draft drawn on a bank in Karachi in favour of The Aga Khan University. When accepting our offer, students (studying in Pakistan ) will be required to pay registration fee of Rs. 1500 which is non-refundable. Please do not send cash in the mail.
- Application will not be processed without the processing fee.
Evaluations and reporting
At the conclusion of the elective, concerned faculty will evaluate students. Additionally, students will be required to submit a comprehensive report on the training/research undertaken, to the Elective Office.