Advanced Diploma in Health Professions Education
Developed by AKU’s Department for Educational Development, the Advanced Diploma in Health Professions Education (HPE) programme is designed to develop excellent teachers, educators and innovators in health professions education.
Graduates from this Programme will know how to use best evidence medical education to make informed decisions for improving the standards of undergraduate, postgraduate and continuing health professions education in the fields of medicine, dentistry, nursing and allied health sciences, in Pakistan and abroad.
The programme will also provide a platform for educators in the health professions to share experiences resulting in the development of collaborations and linkages optimising education and research at national and regional levels.
By the end of the programme, graduates should be able to:
- Demonstrate critical thinking and problem-solving skills in health professions education on national and international issues
- Inculcate critical thinking and problem solving in students
- Develop curricula using knowledge of educational philosophies and theories
- Develop and apply innovative teaching, learning and assessment strategies, using best evidence to make informed decisions in HPE
- Develop linkages optimising education
Who is the programme for?
Chairs and members of the year committees, curriculum committees, assessment and promotions committees (or equivalent), programme coordinators and programme directors of educational programmes.
The Advanced Diploma in HPE programme consists of pre-requisite and advanced level courses which will require a minimum of two years to a maximum of four years of study.
There are two options for the entry into the Programme:
Option 1: Following the completion of two/three Advanced Level Courses (ALCs) in HPE candidates are eligible to apply to the Advanced Diploma in Health Professions Education programme if they have achieved a minimum CGPA of 2.50.
Option 2: Following the AKU graduate programme application process.