Advanced Diploma in Human Development (Early Child Development)
The Advanced Diploma is an in-service, multi-disciplinary, postgraduate programme. It is designed to prepare professionals engaged in health, education and social development sectors for the development of ECD strategies through a critical examination of current knowledge and practices.
- To apply the understanding that early experiences, determined by the social context, give shape to the brain and biological development, and set life long trajectories for learning, behaviour and health.
- To plan for sustainable, community-based integrated ECD services that can make a difference in the survival, growth and development prospects of children, create equitable opportunities for women, contribute to community mobilisation and social change and improve the human capital of the population.
- To work in a team and collaborate with professionals in several disciplines, donors and organisations in promoting effective ECD services that are grounded in community realities.
- To demonstrate how ECD programmes can promote the human rights of all children.
- To develop self-awareness of personal values, critical thinking skills and the ability to reflect on and analyse immediate environments within a larger societal context.
- Four-year bachelor’s undergraduate degree or two years bachelor’s degree with at least two years of experience in related field( e.g. child care, health, psychology, social development , education)
- Competence in verbal and written comprehension and expression in the English Language.
- Statement of Interest outlining the reason for acquiring the Advanced Diploma in ECD and description of your current activities related to Early Child Development.
- Employer’s endorsement and Support for in service education and attendance at seminars held at AKU.
- Sufficient funds for tuition, travel to AKU and subsistence.
Modes of Study
Each course extends over approximately five to six months and requires the following modes of study:
- Self-study (six weeks)
- Face-to-face seminar at AKU in Karachi (two weeks)
- Early Child Development project (twelve weeks)
The Self Study component is facilitated by a Virtual Learning Environment that allows an interactive process.
Advanced Diploma comprises of following three courses
Course I: From Early Child Development to Human Development: Integrating Perspectives
For more details about the course, please download the Course Brochure, Application Form and Sample Test Paper.
Course II: Early Child Development Practice, Programmes and Policies
Course III: An Introduction to Research in Early Child Development: Methodology, Analysis and Reporting