Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology offers a broad range of inpatient and outpatient services for women including high risk obstetrical care, infertility, foetal assessment, routine obstetric, reproductive endocrinology, gynaecological oncology and comprehensive diagnosis and treatment of routine gynaecological disorders. The department has 13 full-time and seven non full-time fully trained consultants. It offers a four-year residency training programme and resident's cover is available to all the inpatients round the clock. The department offers outpatient services in Consulting Clinic 4, Private Wing (Ground Floor), CMS; inpatient services in Ward A2 and B2; maternity service with a well equipped Labour Room and Labour Room OR; reproductive health services; and a colposcopy clinic.
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology at Aga Khan University offers comprehensive infertility services at primary, secondary and tertiary level. This includes:
- Counselling and investigation (hormonal assays, ultrasound, laparoscopy, histrosalpingogram etc);
- Surgery (laparoscopic, tubal surgery, myomectomy, etc).
This is a specific service for women with urinary problems and incontinence. It is unique, and is provided by certified urogynaecologist. We offer:
- Full Urodynamic evaluation;
- A variety of surgical interventions, pelvic physiotherapy and medical therapies.
The Gynaecological Oncology team in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology provides comprehensive service for screening and management of gynaecological cancers.
Gynaecological cancer screening clinics provide various screening opportunities. For example,, pap smears (for screening of cancer of cervix) and colposcopy by accredited colposcopist (in case of abnormal smears). Ovarian cancer screening is offered to women at high risk for developing ovarian cancer based on their family history or other high risk factors. We have specialised oncology team trained for cancer surgery and cases are regularly discussed at our tumour board meetings to determine the appropriate treatment options.
Feto Maternal Medicine
Feto Maternal Medicine is a rapidly emerging specialty. This unit offers:
- A comprehensive serving program for chromosomal abnormalities like Down's syndrome. We offer Nuchal translucency scan at 11-14 weeks to assess the risk for Down's syndrome.
- Screening facilities for Preterm delivery, Pre-eclampsia and Fetal growth restriction.
- Specialist marker scans in the second trimester and invasive procedures like amniocentesis and CVS.
For further information, please contact:
Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi,
P.O. Box 3500, Stadium Road, Karachi -74800, Pakistan .
Consulting Clinic # 4 Tel: 92 21 486 1079/486 1036 or
Obstetric and Gynaecology Department Tel: 92 21 486 4641, 486 4642, 486 4647
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi