Advanced Level Course on Assessment
in Health Professions Education
Course Duration: April 1 - June 7, 2013
Face-to-Face Component: April 15 - 25, 2013
Health care professionals in Medicine, Nursing, Dentistry and Allied Health
Proven interest / responsibility in HPE.
Pre requisite: Introductory Short Course in Health Professions Education
Course credits: 5
Aims and Objectives: The course focuses on the purpose, design, implementation and evaluation of rigorous assessment plans including tasks, tools, and strategies relevant to HPE, with emphasis on the participant’s involvement within the context of their own profession and institution. One week will focus on development of assessment tools and plans, and the other will focus on the psychometric properties of the tools.
Duration: Ten weeks.
Two weeks of part-time pre-reading,
Two-week full-time intensive face-to-face component,
Six weeks of part-time independent study and written assignment.
The course is highly participatory, offered through interactive plenaries, individual and group presentations and assignments, workshop formats, exercises, on-line and small group activities. Mid-course feedback is provided.
By the end of the course the students will be able to apply principles of best assessment practices based on best evidence available in literature for:
- developing a blueprint for assessment;
- using assessment for formative and summative purposes;
- the variety of assessment tools and their purpose(s);
- selecting appropriate assessment tools according to educational outcomes and context;
- develop practical and innovative assessment tools that lead to enhanced learning; and
- collect, analyze and interpret assessment data for monitoring, feedback and educational research.
- Both face-to-face component and Independent Study and Written Assignment (ISWA) have to be satisfactorily completed separately.
- In the face-to-face component, assessment will be through continuous observation of participation and contributions, individual and group assignments/presentations and end-of-the-course assessment.
- Dr Syeda Kauser Ali
- Dr Naveed Yousuf
Click here to see our selection criteria
Local participants: PKR 45,000/person
International participants: US $ 1300/person
Mr. Nurali S. Hirani
Administrative Officer, DED
Aga Khan University
Tel: +92 21 3486 2419