Additional Required Course on Research Methodologies in Health Professions Education
Duration of the Course: January 1 to March 21, 2014
Face-to-Face Component: January 13 to 24, 2014
- Health care professionals in Medicine, Nursing, Dentistry and Allied Health.
- Proven interest / responsibility in HPE.
- Introductory Short Course in Health Professions Education (ISC-HPE).
- Teaching experience in healthcare professions: Medicine, Nursing, Dentistry or Allied Health.
Course Credits: 7.0
Goal: The course focuses on research methodology most applicable in education, a vision for research and development of a research proposal.
Renowned faculty members of Aga Khan University (AKU) having diverse educational background and expertise in research methodologies.
Rich inter-professional interaction and collaborative learning with faculty from The Institute of Educational Development (IED), School of Nursing and Midwifery (SONAM), AKU Research Office, Community Health Sciences (CHS), and Department for Educational Development (DED) and participants from Medical and nursing Colleges in public and private sectors of Pakistan.
7 Continuing Education (CE) Credits from 360 hours of course study.
Course Duration: Twelve weeks.
Learning Outcomes: By the end of the course, the participants will be able to:
relate theoretical perspectives to qualitative and quantitative research approaches
develop a vision and strategic plan for initiating and enhancing educational research
practice the ethics of research and publication
relate research methodologies to different research questions using qualitative and quantitative data analyses as necessary
develop a research proposal; identify, select and justify the use of appropriate methods for research question(s), and
sustain research agenda by accessing the needed resources
Educational Strategies: The course is highly participatory, offered through interactive plenaries, hands-on individual and small group activities and presentations. Mid-course feedback is provided.
Assessment: For each of the two courses, assessment is based on the following:
- Both the face-to-face component and the two independent study written assignments (ISWA) have to be satisfactorily completed separately.
- In the face-to-face component, assessment will be through continuous observation of participation and contributions, individual and group assignments/presentations and end-of-the-course assessment.
Course Faculty (in alphabetical order)
to see our selection criteria
Local participants: PKR 62,500/person
International participants: US $ 1,300/person
Mr. Nurali S. Hirani
Administrative Officer & Coordinator
Department for Educational Development
Aga Khan University
Phone: (+92 21) 3486-2419