Advanced Level Courses on Programme Evaluation and Leadership in Health Professions Education
Duration of the Courses: September 8 to December 8, 2013
Face-to-Face Component: September 30 to October 11, 2013
- Health care professionals in Medicine, Nursing, Dentistry and Allied Health.
- Proven interest / responsibility in HPE.
- Introductory Short Course in Health Professions Education (ISC-HPE).
- Teaching experience in healthcare professions: Medicine, Nursing, Dentistry or Allied Health.
7 credits will accrue from 350 hours of Course Study.
- Program Evaluation: 3.0 credits
- Leadership: 4.0 credits
The Advanced Level Courses on Programme Evaluation & Leadership in HPE (ALC-PE&L) focus on evaluation of educational programmes, development of a plan for improvement or change, and leadership initiatives for such a change.
- The ALC-PE (7004) focuses on the selection of appropriate approach(es) for evaluation of educational programmes, or parts thereof, developing an evaluation plan, benchmarking against national and international standards, identify methods for data gathering and analysis, and strategies for dissemination of findings.
- The ALC-L (7005) focuses on building leadership skills with emphasis on strategic planning, relating leadership theories, approaches and frameworks to problem-resolution and change management.
- Two weeks part-time pre-reading.
- Two weeks full-time intensive face-to-face component at AKU.
- Eight weeks for independent study and completion of two written assignments.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
select and justify the use of specific approach(es) for evaluating educational programmes;
develop a plan for evaluating an educational programme using evaluation standards;
develop a vision, mission and strategic plan for educational change;
effectively manage teams and conflict;
initiate and sustain organizational change based on the mission and vision; and
mobilize the needed resources.
The course is highly participatory, offered through interactive plenaries, hands-on individual and small group activities and presentations. Mid-course feedback is provided.
For each of the two courses, assessment is based on the following:
- Both the face-to-face component and the two independent study written assignments (ISWA) have to be satisfactorily completed separately.
- In the face-to-face component, assessment will be through continuous observation of participation and contributions, individual and group assignments/presentations and end-of-the-course assessment.
The two courses are graded separately. If anyone fails in one course, they do not have to take both courses, they will be required to take only that particular course again.
- Dr. Laila Akber Ali
- Dr. Syeda Kauser Ali
- Ms. Jacqueline Maria Dias
- Dr. Naveed Yousuf
- Dr. Rukhsana W. Zuberi
to see our selection criteria
Local participants: PKR 49,500/person
International participants: US $ 1,050/person
Mr. Nurali S. Hirani
Administrative Officer & Coordinator
Department for Educational Development
Aga Khan University
Phone: (+92 21) firstname.lastname@example.org