- One of the major prerequisites for a successful continuing medical and professional education activity is the ability to recognise and fulfil the needs of the physicians and nurses. The academic departments are to participate in assessing the needs of the members of the profession.
- The determination of these needs can best be met through a continuous information gathering system. This may include:
- Surveys of potential participants or national surveys of specialties targeted for the programme;
- Practice data such as practice profiles, medical audits, professional review, organisation reports and material consensus reports;
- Epidemiological data;
- Literature review and expert recommendations;
- Expressed interest of target audience from consultation, past course evaluation, letter of request or some other form.