- Each department in the Medical College and School of Nursing should develop a systematic approach to the development of continuing medical and professional education activities. The time frame allotted will depend on the scope and location of the programme. Generally, programmes should be scheduled 3-6 months in advance to allow ample time for programme development and promotion. An involved faculty member must submit all programmes with approval by a Departmental Chair. The programme should be developed based on the following guidelines:
Professional associations or other outside groups that request joint sponsorship from AKU will first request approval from the appropriate Departmental Chair through the faculty member participating in the programme. The programme must then be reviewed by the Department of Continuing Professional Education as a jointly sponsored effort between AKU and the professional association or group. Such review is to ensure that the proposed programme coincides with the essentials of international bench marks like ACCME. Programmes offered for joint sponsorship with AKU must be developed and presented with appropriate department as represented by its faculty member who will:
- Clear the proposed dates through the Department Continuing Professional Education;
- Complete a "Course Approval Form" from the Department Continuing Professional Education;
- Designate the faculty director of the course;
- Define the course objectives/purpose statement and programme content;
- Identify professional groups as target audience;
- Secure the approval from the appropriate Departmental Chair with his/her signature on the approval form;
- Include the recommended honorarium for visiting faculty;
- Insure evaluation procedures;
- Include tentative or final schedule;
- Include the names and titles of faculty, local professionals and outside faculty who will present;
- Satisfy ACCME/Royal Colleges or any other international bench mark requirements for continuing medical and professional education credit;
- Indicate any specialty group accreditation requirements applicable to the intent of the programme;
- Include proposed methodology to be used;
- Submit the above information to the Department of Continuing Professional Education for presentation to the Continuing Medical & Professional Education Advisory Committee, assignment of credit hours and approval of continuing education credit.
Departments requesting approval of ongoing programmes such as rounds must complete a "Course Approval Form" annually outlining the objectives, tentative or final schedule, faculty and evaluation method for the upcoming year. These should be submitted in December of each year for the new fiscal year beginning January 1st. A contact person in each department should be identified to assure proper attendance records are completed and returned to the Department of Continuing Professional Education for recording. Evaluations should be summarised and sent to the Department of Continuing Professional Education.
- Participate in the planning and development of each co-sponsored continuing medical and professional education activity;
- Assume responsibility for the overall quality of the programme being co-sponsored;
- Assure that the name of AKU is placed on the programme as a bona fide joint sponsor, and that the name(s) and titles of participating faculty and speakers are complete and proper;
- Determine that the programme is appropriately evaluated, and that the evaluations are made available to the Department of Continuing Professional Education;
- Establish in consultation with the Department of Continuing Professional Education any financial arrangements prior to the completion of the joint sponsorship agreement.