Dr Zafar Fatmi
Assistant Professor &
Head, Division of Environmental Health Sciences &
Director, Community Medicine Residency Program
Academic Qualification and Training
Zafar Fatmi, MBBS, FCPS, is Assistant Professor and head of the division of Environmental Health Sciences division at the department of Community Health Sciences (CHS) at AKU. Dr. Fatmi is a Public Health consultant and has done his fellowship in Public Health. He is also Director for a four-year postgraduate Community Medicine Residency Training program. He also teaches undergraduate medical students and graduate programs of MSc students of Epidemiology & Biostatistics and Health Policy & Management at AKU. He is involved in teaching Public Health and Epidemiology to trainees from regional countries in Continuing Education Program of the department. Over the years he has also supervised thesis work for eleven (11) MSc students of Health Policy & Management and Epidemiology & Biostatistics. He is also supervisor in Community Medicine for College of Physicians & Surgeons, Pakistan.
His research experience includes setting up health systems for maternal and child health and development interventions in rural areas, infectious diseases, mental health and environmental health in Pakistan. He has received several grants as Principal Investigator and Co-Investigator from various national and international agencies including World Health Organization (WHO) in Geneva and EMRO, UNICEF, Save the Children US, Higher Education Commission, University Research Council (URC) at AKU. He is currently working actively in a joint grant between University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) and AKU on International Training and Research grant on Environmental and Occupational Health (ITREOH). In this respect, he has attended several regional Training of Trainer workshops for environmental and occupational health and has helped organized National Training Workshop for in-country researchers and academicians in Pakistan. He is also involved in several projects related to environmental health particularly related to indoor air pollution. He is also currently heading a grant on air pollution in collaboration with University of Albany, US.
Peer-reviewed Journal publications
• Fatmi Z, Azam I, Ahmed F, Kazi A, Gill AB, Kadir MM, Janjua N, Ahmed M, Ara N, Core group for arsenic mitigation in Pakistan. Health burden of arsenic contaminated groundwater in a rural district in Pakistan (In press Environmental Research).
• Fatmi Z, Kazi A, Hadden WC, Bhutta ZA, Razzak JA, Pappas G. Incidence, patterns and disability of reported unintentional injuries in Pakistan for persons under-5 years: Results of the National Health Survey of Pakistan. Pediatrics & Perinatal Epidemiology (In press).
• Kazi A, Fatmi Z, Hatcher J, Niaz U, Aziz A, Wasserman GA. Development of a Stress Scale for pregnant women in South Asian context (A-Z Stress Scale) (In press East Mediterr Health J).
• Arif MO, Fatmi Z, Pardeep B, Ali T, Iqbal H, Bangash HK, Pervaiz R, Altaf H, Baba JA. Attitudes and perceptions about prenatal diagnosis and induced abortion among adults of Pakistani population. Prenat Diagn. 2008 Dec;28(12):1149-55.
• Kadir MM, Janjua NZ, Kristensen S, Fatmi Z, Sathiakumar N. Status of children's blood lead levels in Pakistan: implications for research and policy. Public Health. 2008 Jul;122(7):708-15. Epub 2008 Mar 21.
• Khan H, Taqui AM, Khawaja MR, Fatmi Z. Problem-based versus conventional curricula: influence on knowledge and attitudes of medical students towards health research. PLoS ONE. 2007 Jul 18;2(7):e632.
• Agha A, White F, Younus M, Kadir MM, Alir S, Fatmi Z. Eight key household practices of integrated management of childhood illnesses (IMCI) amongst mothers of children aged 6 to 59 months in Gambat, Sindh, Pakistan. J Pak Med Assoc. 2007 Jun;57(6):288-93.
• Fatmi Z, Hadden WC, Razzak JA, Qureshi HI, Hyder AA, Pappas G. Incidence, patterns and severity of reported unintentional injuries in Pakistan for persons five years and older: results of the National Health Survey of Pakistan 1990-94. BMC Public Health. 2007 Jul 10;7:152.
• Khuwaja AK, Qureshi R, Fatmi Z. Noncommunicable diseases and injuries: action needed in South Asia too. PLoS Med. 2007 Jan;4(1):e38.
• Raheel H, White F, Kadir MM, Fatmi Z. Knowledge and beliefs of adolescents regarding sexually transmitted infections and HIV/AIDS in a rural district in Pakistan. J Pak Med Assoc. 2007 Jan;57(1):8-11.
• Husain S, Kadir M, Fatmi Z. Resource allocation within the National AIDS Control Program of Pakistan: a qualitative assessment of decision maker's opinions. BMC Health Serv Res. 2007 Jan 23;7:11.
• Mansoor S, Siddiqui I, Adil S, Nabi Kakepoto G, Fatmi Z, Ghani F. Anion gap among patients of multiple myeloma and normal individuals. Clin Biochem. 2007 Feb;40(3-4):226-9. Epub 2006 Nov 1.
• Khan H, Khawaja MR, Waheed A, Rauf MA, Fatmi Z. Knowledge and attitudes about health research amongst a group of Pakistani medical students. BMC Med Educ. 2006 Nov 2;6:54.
• Aziz A, Kazi A, Jahangeer A, Fatmi Z. Knowledge and skills in community oriented medical education (COME) self-ratings of medical undergraduates in Karachi. J Pak Med Assoc. 2006 Jul;56(7):313-7.
• Kazi A, Fatmi Z, Hatcher J, Kadir MM, Niaz U, Wasserman GA. Social environment and depression among pregnant women in urban areas of Pakistan: importance of social relations. Soc Sci Med. 2006 Sep;63(6):1466-76. Epub 2006 Jun 23.
• Parviz S, Fatmi Z, Altaf A, McCormick JB, Fischer-Hoch S, Rahbar M, Luby S. Background demographics and risk behaviors of injecting drug users in Karachi, Pakistan. Int J Infect Dis. 2006 Sep;10(5):364-71. Epub 2006 Jun 21.
• Mazahir S, Malik R, Maqsood M, Merchant KA, Malik F, Majeed A, Fatmi Z, Khawaja MR, Ghaffar S. Socio-demographic correlates of betel, areca and smokeless tobacco use as a high risk behavior for head and neck cancers in a squatter settlement of Karachi, Pakistan. Subst Abuse Treat Prev Policy. 2006 Apr 26;1:10.
• Agha A, Parviz S, Younus M, Fatmi Z. Socio-economic and demographic factors associated with injecting drug use among drug users in Karachi, Pakistan. J Pak Med Assoc. 2006 Jan;56(1 Suppl 1):S55-60.
• Khawaja MR, Mazahir S, Majeed A, Malik F, Merchant KA, Maqsood M, Malik R, Ghaffar S, Fatmi Z. Chewing of betel, areca and tobacco: perceptions and knowledge regarding their role in head and neck cancers in an urban squatter settlement in Pakistan. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2006 Jan-Mar;7(1):95-100.
• Fatmi Z, Gulzar AZ, Kazi A. Maternal and newborn care: practices and beliefs of traditional birth attendants in Sindh, Pakistan. East Mediterr Health J. 2005 Jan-Mar;11(1-2):226-34.
• Mansoor S, Siddiqui I, Adil S, Kakapeto GN, Fatmi Z. Frequency of hypercalcemia in patients of multiple myeloma in Karachi. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 2005 Jul;15(7):409-12.
• Khushk WA, Fatmi Z, White F, Kadir MM. Health and social impacts of improved stoves on rural women: a pilot intervention in Sindh, Pakistan. Indoor Air. 2005 Oct;15(5):311-6.
• Altaf A, Fatmi Z, Ajmal A, Hussain T, Qahir H, Agboatwalla M. Determinants of therapeutic injection overuse among communities in Sindh, Pakistan. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad. 2004 Jul-Sep;16(3):35-8.
• Khuwaja AK, Qureshi R, Fatmi Z. Knowledge about hepatitis B and C among patients attending family medicine clinics in Karachi. East Mediterr Health J. 2002 Nov;8(6):787-93.
• Khuwaja AK, Qureshi R, Andrades M, Fatmi Z, Khuwaja NK. Comparison of job satisfaction and stress among male and female doctors in teaching hospitals of Karachi. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad. 2004 Jan-Mar;16(1):23-7.
• Agha A, Parviz S, Younus M, Fatmi Z. Socio-economic and demographic factors associated with injecting drug use among drug users in Karachi, Pakistan. J Pak Med Assoc. 2003 Nov;53(11):511-6.
• Khuwaja AK, Fatmi Z, Soomro WB, Khuwaja NK. Risk factors for cardiovascular disease in school children--a pilot study. J Pak Med Assoc. 2003 Sep;53(9):396-400.
• Fatmi Z, White F. A comparison of 'cough and cold' and pneumonia: risk factors for pneumonia in children under 5 years revisited. Int J Infect Dis. 2002 Dec;6(4):294-301.
• Fatmi Z, Avan BI. Demographic, socio-economic and environmental determinants of utilisation of antenatal care in a rural setting of Sindh, Pakistan. J Pak Med Assoc. 2002 Apr;52(4):138-42.
• Avan BI, Fatmi Z, Rashid S. Comparison of clinical and laparascopic features of infertile women suffering from genital tuberculosis (TB) or pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) or endometriosis. J Pak Med Assoc. 2001 Nov;51(11):393-9.
Other Journals and citations
• Kazi A, Fatmi Z, Hatcher J, Bhatti MT, Kadir MM. Comparison of rural and urban SOCIAL environment for development of depression among pregnant women in Sindh, Pakistan. Eur Psychiatry 23 (2008) S254. Abstract for Poster Session II (Abstract # P0209).
• Fatmi Z, Kazi A. Importance of social relations for development of depression among pregnant women in urban and rural areas of Pakistan. Eur Psychiatry 22 (2007) S67-68. Abstract for oral sessions. (Abstract # FC05.06)
• Altaf A, Agboatwalla M, Luby S, Hutin Y, Fatmi Z, Agha A. In-depth interviews of healthcare providers, patients and carers of infants to identify determinants of therapeutic injections in Sindh, Pakistan. Monduzzi Editore S.p.A-MEDIMOND Inc. XIV International AIDS Conference 2002. 201-4.
• Raheel H, White FM, Kadir M, Fatmi Z. Knowledge and beliefs of adolescents regarding HIV/AIDS in a rural district Mirpurkhas, Sindh, Pakistan. Int Conf AIDS. 2004 Jul 11-16; 15: abstract no. ThPeE7922.
• Khushk IA, Fatmi Z, Memon GA. Future of healthcare and our readiness. Editorial. JLUMHS 2003 Jan-Jul; 2(1): 1-2.
• Kadir MM, Fatmi Z, Janjua N. Lead pollution and its implications for children in Pakistan. IHE - Conference - Almaty 2005 - Posters and Abstracts.
• Fatmi Z, Raheel H, Kazi A, Kadir MM. Evaluation of Nutrition Support Program (NSP), Sindh (Evaluation report submitted to UNICEF, Karachi in March 2003).
• Fatmi Z, Ali S, Agha A, Saani AJ. Baseline survey for Health Situation Analysis for Integrated Mother and Child Health Care Programme in Gambat, Khairpur, Sindh (Report submitted to Patient Welfare Society and Trust for Voluntary Organization, Sindh, September 2003).
• Altaf A, Fatmi Z, Kazi A, Hussain T, Ahmed W. Evaluation of Reproductive Health Program of Save the Children USA in District Haripur, NWFP, Pakistan. (Evaluation report submitted to Save the Children, Pakistan Program in May 2003).
• Altaf A, Agboatwalla M, Fatmi Z, Ajmal A, Memon E, Dahar N, Arshad M, Hussain T. In-depth interviews of healthcare providers, patients and home care givers to identify determinants of therapeutic injections in Sindh, Pakistan (Report submitted to WHO - SIGN - May 2001).
• Altaf A, Shah SA, Agboatwalla M, Hussain T, Fatmi Z, Arshad M, Ajmal A, Dahar N, Memon A, Baig A. Determinants of therapeutic injection practices among communities in Sindh province, Pakistan. (Report submitted to WHO - SIGN - July 2001).
• White F, Kadir MM, Fatmi Z and Community Medicine Residents. Assessment of Health Status and Trend in Pakistan - 2001. Community Medicine Residency Program, Department of Community Health Sciences, Aga Khan University.
• Fatmi Z, Ahmed F, Kazi A, Azam I, Janjua N, Kadir MM. Health Effects of Drinking Arsenic Contaminated Underground Water in District Khairpur, Sindh, Pakistan. (Report submitted to Water and Sanitation (WES), UNICEF, Islamabad, Pakistan, December, 2006).
• Fatmi Z, Kadir MM, Ahmed W, Kazi A. Situation analysis of household energy use and indoor air pollution in Pakistan. (Department of Child and Adolescent Health and Development, World Health Organization. WHO/FCH/CAH/05.06.).
• Khan T, Zaidi A. Contributors: Kadir MM, Fatmi Z, Siddiqui R. Indoor Air Pollution and Child Health in Pakistan: report of a seminar held at the Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan. 29 September 2005. World Health Organization 2006. (NLM classification: WA 754) ISBN 978 92 4 159416 5.
• Fatmi Z, Ahmed W, White F, Kadir MM. Preliminary assessment of Smoke-Free Stoves (SFS) in rural Sindh: a pilot study [Acceptability, Health and Social Impact]. (Evaluation report submitted to Aga Khan Planning and Building Services, Pakistan in June 2002).