Dr Ehsan Syed
Assistant Professor and Consultant Psychiatrist
Academic Qualification and Training
- MBBS, Dow Medical College, Karachi, 1991
- Diplomate American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology , 1998
- Diploma, Clinical Epidemiology, Aga Khan University , 2006
- Senior Instructor August 1999 - December 2000
Department of Psychiatry
Aga Khan University, Karachi
- Consultant Psychiatrist October 1998 - August 1999
Shifa International Hospital, Islamabad
My responsibilities included both outpatient, inpatient and consulting to other specialties. I was also responsible for teaching behavioural sciences course to undergraduates.
- Syed EU, Atiq R, Effendi S & Mehmud S (2001). Conversion disorder: difficulties in diagnosis using DSM-IV/ICD-10. Journal of Pakistan Medical Association. 51 (4): 143-145.
- Syed EU, Mehmud S, Atiq R (2002) Clinical and demographic characteristics of psychiatric inpatients admitted via emergency and non-emergency routes at a University Hospital in Pakistan. Journal of Pakistan Medical Association, 52:456(10); 456-459.
- Haqqi S, Syed EU. (2005) ADHD: A review, Journal of The Liaquat University of Medical and Health Sciences, 4 (1); 29-32.
- Syed EU & Zuberi SI (2006). Mental distress in mothers of child psychiatric patients J Coll Physicians Surg Pak, 16(6): 416-9.
- Syed EU, Naqvi HA, Hassan S. Prevalence, clinical characteristics and co-morbidities of Attention deficit Hyperactivity Disorder presenting to a Child psychiatric clinic at a University hospital in Pakistan. Journal of Pakistan Psychiatric Society 2006;3(2):74-77
- Zuberi SI, Syed EU. Education induced Post traumatic stress disorder in a six year old boy. Journal of Pakistan Psychiatric Society 2006;3(2): 105-107
- Syed EU, Abdul-Husain S, Yousafzai AW. "Developing Services with Limited Resources: Establishing a CAMHS in Pakistan ". Child and Adolescent Mental Health doi: 10.1111/j.1475-3588.2006.00429.x
- Syed EU & Shahid A. Pediatric Consultation- Liaison Psychiatry: Experience at a university hospital in Karachi, Pakistan. Journal of Ayub Medical College (accepted)
- Syed EU, Abdul-Hussein S, Mahmud S., Screening for emotional and behavioral problems and associated social factors amongst 5 to 11 year old school children in Karachi, Pakistan. Social psychiatry and psychiatric epidemiology (accepted)
Assistant Professor and Consultant Psychiatrist January 2001-
Department of Psychiatry
Aga Khan University
As a full time faculty member, I am involved in both undergraduate and postgraduate medical education. I am also involved in patient care (half of which are children and adolescents) both in outpatient and inpatient settings.
Grants and Scholastic Activities
- Faculty development Award (FDA), FHS, AKU, 2005.
Title of Project: Clinical Scholars Program at CHS, AKU
Amount: US$ 2890.00
- Research Grant, University Research Council (URC), AKU, 2006.
Title of Project: Concurrence of CBCL (Urdu) and its comparison with SDQ (Urdu) in clinical population.
Amount: US$ 2300.00
- ADHD Foundation( Pakistan ) grant, ( a private not for profit organization) Title of project: School based intervention for ADHD children in Karachi.
Amount: US$ 7670.00