The Clinical Epidemiology Unit (CEU) of Aga Khan University (AKU), located in the Department of Community Health Sciences, was established in 2002. The same year, it became a member of the International Clinical Epidemiology Network (INCLEN). CEU at AKU is a network of epidemiologists, biostatisticians, clinicians, nurses, social scientists, health economists, and other health workers. It is the only INCLEN-recognised clinical epidemiology unit in Pakistan.
Our mission is to improve the health of individuals and populations by promoting equitable, evidence-based and good quality health care. In order to accomplish this mission, we conduct and promote collaborative research on measurement of and knowledge about factors that influence health; and train clinicians and other health workers in research.
- To promote multi-disciplinary research on health problems of national and regional importance, and disseminate its findings nationally and internationally;
- To build capacity through training, and mentorship programmes;
- To conduct/participate in national or multinational clinical trials, sponsored by research organisations, pharmaceutical companies and others;
- To facilitate the development of evidence-based national and regional clinical practice and policy guidelines;
- To build partnerships with governmental and non-governmental organisations to translate research findings into practice and publicaction.