Academic Admission Requirements
Under its charter, Aga Khan University is open to all academically qualified candidates. The University is non-denominational and admission to its academic programmes is needs-blind and based strictly on merit.
Candidates wishing to apply for the MA in Muslim Cultures must complete an application form, including a personal statement, giving their reasons for wishing to enrol in the MA Programme and send it with a copy of their degree and transcript(s). Please note that referees should submit the references directly to the Registrar's Office, arriving no later than 28 February in the year for which they are apply. Shortlisted candidates will be asked to participate in an interview.
To be considered for admission, applicants are required to hold the following degree(s) from an accredited/recognised university:
- An undergraduate degree (equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree), from an accredited/recognised university, preferably in the humanities or social sciences, awarded with a 2.1 honours equivalent in the British system or a minimum CGPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale).
- English Proficiency Requirement
- IELTS - Overall band score: 6.5 (with a minimum of 5.5 in all four components)
- TOEFL - Internet-based test: Overall score 92 (with a minimum of 17 in Listening; 18 in Reading ; 20 in Speaking; and 17 in Writing)
- The Institute exempts candidates from the English language proficiency requirements if they have completed undergraduate studies in the following countries: Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, the Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, New Zealand, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago and the United States of America.
- Other English language test results may be acceptable. Please check with the Registrar’s Office for more details.