Dr Kathryn Spellman Poots
Dr Kathryn Spellman Poots, Associate Professor, received her MSc and PhD in Politics and Sociology from Birkbeck College, University of London. Her areas of interest include gender and Islam in the Middle East and North Africa, the Iranian Diaspora and transnational migration networks, Islam in Europe and gender and religious practices in contemporary Libyan society. Her book is entitled Religion and Nation: Iranian Local and Transnational Networks in Britain (Berghahn Publishers, Oxford and New York, 2005).
Dr Spellman previously taught courses on the sociology of religion, migration and gender in contemporary societies at Syracuse University, London campus. She is currently a Research Associate at the London Middle East Institute at SOAS and on the Editorial Board of the Middle East in London magazine. She has been involved in organisations that focus on the experiences of refugees and asylum seekers in the UK, including the London Detainee Support Group, and has been a researcher for projects relating to the Middle East and North Africa at a number of organisations including the Imperial War Museum and Manchester International Festival.
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: 020 7380 3833
- Project: Young Shi’i Muslims in Britain;
- Recipient of British Academy/ Leverhulme Small Research Grant – January 2012 to July 2013;
- Aga Khan University Research Grant – September 2014;
- Co-recipient of the Wenner-Gren Foundation Grant;
- International workshop entitled: ‘Beyond the Arab Spring: The Aesthetics and Poetics of Popular Revolt and Protest’ with Prof. Pnina Werbner (PI), Dr. Martin Webb and Kathryn Spellman-Poots (Held at AKU-ISMC in March 2013).
- Baudouin Dupret, Thomas Pierret, Paulo Pinto and Kathryn Spellman-Poots eds. (2012) Ethnographies of Islam: Ritual Performances and Everyday Practices, Edinburgh University Press, Edinburgh.
- Pnina Werbner, Martin Webb and Kathryn Spellman-Poots eds. The Political Aesthetics of Global Protest: Arab Spring and Beyond, Edinburgh University Press. (In press for June 2014) .
- Spellman-Poots, Kathryn (2012) ‘Manifestations of Ashura among Young British Shia’ in Ethnographies of Islam: Ritual Performances and Everyday Practices, Edinburgh University Press, Edinburgh.
- Kathryn Spellman-Poots and Sami Zubaida eds. ‘Middle Eastern Religious Minorities’, special issue of The Middle East in London magazine, The London Middle East Institute, SOAS, London, 9(3), June-July, 2013.
- Kathryn Spellman-Poots, ‘Who is Hussain?’ The Middle East in London magazine, The London Middle East Institute, SOAS, London, 9(3), June-July, 2013, pp. 7-8.
Conference/workshops and guest lectures
- ‘Shias in the UK: Ritual Performances across generations’ SOAS Centre for Gender Studies Seminar Series, UK, 7 Feb. 2013.
- ‘Shia mobilisation and identity formation in the UK’ at Wenner Gren International Workshop: ‘Beyond the Arab Spring: The Aesthetics and Poetics of Popular Revolt and Protest’ 2 March, 2013 at AKU-ISMC.
- ‘Manifestations of Ashura among Young British Shia’ for Religion and Social Science Seminar Series at Kings College, UK, 15 March 2013.
- Spellman-Poots, K. Guest Lecture ‘Young Shia Muslims in UK’ for SOAS post graduate course, Muslim Britain, March 2012.
- ‘Food and Ritual: Shi’a Muslims in Britain’for SOAS Food Forum, organized by the Food Studies Centre at SOAS, University of London, 6 December 2013.