Dr Jeff Tan
Dr Jeff Tan is Associate Professor at AKU-ISMC specialising in the political economy of development. Dr Tan completed his PhD in Economics at SOAS. He previously taught development studies at SOAS and LSE, and worked on governance and human rights in Malaysia. His areas of interest include developmental state theories, late industrialisation, poverty, privatisation, corruption and urban transport networks.
Dr Tan is especially interested in how political and economic factors interact and shape policies and institutions, and the impact of this on development. He has published on privatisation, including a book Privatization in Malaysia (Routledge, 2008) and a chapter 'The Political Economy of Privatisation in Malaysia' in Leading Issues in Competition, Regulation and Development (Edward Elgar, 2004) along with several working papers. His current research is on entrepreneurship and innovation, and financial liberalisation and capital accumulation.
Dr Tan also leads the Professional Programmes Unit, which offers several short courses and educational consultancies.
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: 020 7907 3848
- Tan, Jeff, (2008) Privatisation in Malaysia: Regulation, Rent-Seeking and Policy Failure, Routledge, London
Chapters in Books
- Jomo K.S. and Tan, J. (2011) ‘Lessons from Privatization’ in Malaysia: Policies and Issues in Economic Development, Kuala Lumpur: Institute of Strategic and International Studies Malaysia
- Tan, J. (2010) ‘Can the East Asian Developmental State be Replicated? The Case of Malaysia’ in R. Springborg (ed) Development Models in Muslim Contexts, Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press
- Tan W.S. (2004) ‘The Political Economy of Privatization in Malaysia’ in P. Cook and C. Kirkpatrick (eds) Leading Issues in Competition, Regulation and Development, Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
- Tan, J., (2012) ‘The Pitfalls of Water Privatization: Failure and Reform in Malaysia’, World Development, Elsevier [Volume/Issue Number forthcoming]
- Tan, J. (2011) ‘Infrastructure Privatisation: Oversold, Misunderstood and Inappropriate’, Development Policy Review, 29(1): 47–74
- Tan, J. (2011) ‘Conceptualising Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Late Industrialisation: The State Creation of Entrepreneurs in Malaysia’, International Journal of Management Concepts and Philosophy, 5(2): 138–158
- Tan, W.S. (2002) 'Capital Accumulation, State Intervention and Privatization', Paper No. 29, Working Paper Series, Manchester: Centre on Regulation and Competition, Institute for Development Policy and Management, University of Manchester
- Tan, W.S. (2002) 'Privatization and Capital Accumulation in Malaysia', Paper No. 28, Working Paper Series, Manchester: Centre on Regulation and Competition, Institute for Development Policy and Management, University of Manchester
- Tan, W.S. (2002) 'Capital Accumulation, State Intervention and Privatisation', IPD Working Paper No. 53, Initiative for Policy Dialogue, Columbia University, New York (September 2002)
- Tan, J. (2000) 'The Thai Constitution: The Fight Against Corruption', Kuala Lumpur: Transparency International, Malaysia
- Tan, J. (2011) ‘Private Participation in Infrastructure: The Failure of Water Privatisation in Malaysia’, paper presented at Neoliberalism and the Crises of Economic Science (Second International Conference in Political Economy) Istanbul University, Beyazit, 20–22 May
- Tan, J. (2010) ‘Financialisation and the Dynamics of Capital Accumulation: The Case of Malaysia’, paper presented at Beyond the Crisis (First International Conference in Political Economy) University of Crete, Rethymno, 10–12 Sept
- Tan, J. (2010) ‘Running out of Steam? Manufacturing in Malaysia’, paper presented at The Economy of Tomorrow (12th Annual Conference of the Association of Heterodox Economics) Université Montesquieu Bordeaux IV, 24–25 July
- Tan, J. (2010) ‘Running out of Steam? Manufacturing and Malaysia’s Crisis of Accumulation’, paper presented at Historical Materialism Conference, School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, 11–14 Nov
- Tan, J. (2009) ‘State Autonomy, Social Relations and Development: Replicating the East Asian Developmental State’, paper presented at The State in Capitalist Society – 40 Years On, School of Social Sciences, Leeds Metropolitan University, 22 May
- Bayliss, K. and Tan, J. (2009) ‘Privatisation and Water Governance: What Went Wrong and Where to Next?’ paper presented at Water Governance: Beyond Tame Solutions for ‘Wicked’ Problems, London International Development Centre, Birkbeck College, 22 Mar
- Tan, J. (2009) ‘Rethinking Infrastructure Privatisation in Malaysia’, commissioned paper for Meeting Challenges in the Coming 20 Years: A Plan of Action for Malaysians, Kuala Lumpur: Federation of Chinese Associations Malaysia
- Tan, J. (2008) ‘Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Late Industrialisation: The State Creation of Entrepreneurs in Malaysia’, conference proceedings, The Third European Conference on Entrepreneurship and Innovation, University of Winchester, 4 July
- Tan, J. (2007, June) 'Political Constraints to the State Creation of Entrepreneurship: The Case of Malaysia', Conference on Entrepreneurship, Paris, France