Dr Abdou Filali-Ansary
Dr Abdou Filali-Ansary was the founding director of the Aga Khan University Institute for the Study of Muslim Civilisations (2002-2009) and of the King Abdul-Aziz Foundation for Islamic Studies and Human Sciences in Casablanca, Morocco (1984-2001). Prior to this, he served as secretary-general of the Mohammed V University in Rabat (1980-1984), having also taught modern philosophy there
Dr Filali-Ansary has contributed to the academic discourse on Islam and modernity and on democratization and civil society in the Muslim World and has written books and articles on trends of thought in contemporary Muslim contexts. His works include: Is Islam Hostile to Secularism?; Reforming Islam: An Introduction to Contemporary Debates; and, a translation into French of Ali Abdel-Raziq's landmark book Islam and the Foundations of Political Power. In 1993 he co-founded the bilingual Arabic-French journal Prologues: revue maghrébine du livre and served as its editor until 2005.
Publications (since joining AKU-ISMC)
- Filali-Ansary, Abdou (ed.) (2008), Le sens de l'histoire: La raison aux prises avec la condition humaine (Dialogue des deux rives) [Meaning and End of History], Fondation du roi Abdul-Aziz Al Saoud, Rabat
- Filali-Ansary, Abdou (2003), Réformer l'islam? Une introduction aux débats contemporains [Reforming Islam? An Introduction to the Currents of Muslim Thought], Paris: Editions la découverte.
Chapters in Books/Encyclopaedias
- Filali-Ansary, Abdou, (2005) 'Muslims and Democracy', Diamond L., M. F. Plattner, Costopoulous P. J., World Religions and Democracy (A Journal of Democracy Book), pp. 153-157, Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore
- Filali-Ansary, Abdou, (2005) 'The Challenge of Secularization', Diamond, L., Plattner, M. F., Costopoulous, P. J., World Religions and Democracy (A Journal of Democracy Book), pp. 192-196, Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore
- Filali-Ansary, Abdou, (2005) 'The Sources of Enlightened Muslim Thought', Diamond, L., Plattner, M. F., Costopoulous, P. J., World Religions and Democracy (A Journal of Democracy Book), pp. 197-211, John Hopkins University Press, Baltimore
- Filali-Ansary, Abdou (2004) 'State, society and creed: Reflections on the Maghreb', Civil Society in the Muslim World: Contemporary Perspectives, pp. 294 - 318, Palgrave Macmillan, New York
- Filali-Ansary, Abdou, (2004, June) 'The Poet and the Prophet', ISIM Newsletter, vol. 14, pp. 38-39