Vision and Mission
Aga Khan University Institute for Educational Development (AKU-IED) will remain a leading institution, demonstrating international standards of scholarship in teaching, research and service for improving education in Pakistan and other developing countries.
AKU-IED will continue serving as a 'national resource' for building institutional capacity of education systems of developing countries, especially Pakistan through conducting research, promoting scholarship, offering innovative teaching programmes and influencing education policy and practice. It will also continue offering quality teaching and research programmes for building capacity and enhancing the professional status of teachers, teacher educators and others, who are responsible for successful implementation of educational reforms in Pakistan and other developing countries.
The broad goals of the institute are to:
- Promote a culture of research and scholarship by engaging in policy and impact research in education for raising research profile of developing countries and generating indigenous knowledge base that can assist in formulating informed educational policies.
- Develop innovative educational models of effective teaching and learning, teacher education, school improvement and educational leadership and management, and test these models within specific educational contexts and classroom settings.
- Build capacity of school systems/educational institutions through relevant and high-quality programmes for effective implementation of educational reforms in order to achieve the Millennium Development Goals and goals of Education for All.
- Enhance professional status and self-esteem of teachers and teacher educators and professionals in education through creating a sense of professionalism, building their professional knowledge base, professional competence and a repertoire of skills.
- Assess the impact of AKU-IED's initiatives at systems and policy level for improving the quality of education and develop a road map for replicating successful innovations through modest scaling up.