Multiple Literacies in Multilingual Education
This network is the intellectual home for research focused on improving basic education in areas of language and literacy, numeracy, science and ICT skills.
In this Research Network, literacy is not limited to the traditional notion of reading and writing of print materials. It is a holistic notion involving engagement with and interpretation of texts, which are complex and multi-dimensional including verbal, numeric, pictorial, digital, video and other matter. Specific focus within this theme includes:
- Development of mathematical literacy in multilingual classrooms.
- Development of linguistic literacy in mother tongue and the language of instruction.
- Assessment of mathematical and linguistic literacy.
The development of ICT literacy is integrated within each of the above strands.Members of Research Network on Multiple Literacies Multilingual Education
- Dr. Anjum Halai, Mathematics Education
- Peter Kajoro, Mathematics Education
- Lawrence Njoroge, Language & Literacy
- Dr. Mariotte Ngwaru, Language & Literacy
- Brown Onguko, ICT in Education
- Prof. Pauline Rea-Dickins, Language Testing & Assessment, Language Programme Evaluation, Language Policy in Education
- Zeenat Shariff, English Language
- Dr. Lillian Vikiru, Language & Literacy