Dr Arskal Salim (Assistant Professor) received his PhD in Law from Melbourne Law School, University of Melbourne, Australia, in 2006. His undergraduate degree on Islamic law was from Syarif Hidayatullah State Islamic University (UIN) Jakarta, Indonesia.
Before joining AKU-ISMC in October 2009, he was a research fellow at the Legal Pluralism Project Group, Max Planck Institute for Social Anthropology, Germany, for almost three years. In 2007-2008, he spent ten months in Aceh conducting fieldwork on religion and legal pluralism in the post tsunami Aceh. He is now preparing a monograph with the working title: "Law as Contested Field: Religion, Custom and the State in Aceh".
His research interests include: Islamic legal theory, law and Muslim politics, Islam and human rights, legal anthropology.
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: 020 7380 3852
- Salim, Arskal, (2008) Challenging the Secular State: The Islamization of Laws in Modern Indonesia , Honolulu: Hawaii University Press
- Salim, Arskal (2008) The Shift in the Zakat Practice in Indonesia: From Piety to an Islamic Socio-Political-Economic System,Thailand: Silkwormbooks
- Salim, Arskal, Principal Editor. (2003) Shari'a and Politics in Modern Indonesia, Singapore: ISEAS
In Bahasa Indonesia:
- Serambi Mekkah yang Berubah, Views from Within [The Veranda of Mecca that Changes, Views from Within] Aceh: Alvabet Publications, 2010
- Demi Keadilan dan Kesetaraan: Dokumentasi Program Sensitivitas Jender Hakim Agama di Indonesia [For Justice and Equality: A Documentary on Enhancing Gender Sensitivity of Religious Judges in Indonesia], Jakarta: Puskumham and the Asia Foundation, 2009.
- Praktek Penyelesaian Formal dan Informal Masalah Pertanahan, Kewarisan dan Perwalian Pasca Tsunami di Banda Aceh dan Aceh Besar [Formal and Informal Practices of Dispute Resolutions on Land, Inheritance and Guardianship in the Post-Tsunami Banda Aceh and Aceh Besar], Banda Aceh: International Development Law Organization, 2006.
- Pendidikan Kewargaan: Demokrasi, Hak Asasi Manusia & Masyarakat Madani, [Civic Education: Democracy, Human Rights and Civil Society], Jakarta: Indonesian Center for Civic Education, 2003.
- Hukum Pidana Islam di Indonesia [Islamic Penal Law in Indonesia], Jakarta: Pustaka Firdaus, 2001.
- Partai Islam dan Relasi Agama Negara [Islamic Parties and The Relationship between the State and Religion], Jakarta: Puslit & JPPR, 1999.
- Etika Intervensi Negara: Perspektif Etika Politik Ibn Taimiyah [The Ethics of State Intervention: Ibnu Taimiyah's Perspectives], Jakarta: Logos, 1998.
- "Indonesia, Sharīʿah in", Oxford Islamic Studies Online, April 2012.
- “Between ICMI and NU: The Contested Representation of Muslim Civil Society In Indonesia, 1990-2001”, Al Jamia, vol. 49 (2).
- "The Shari`a Bylaws and Human Rights of Individuals, Women and Non-Muslim Minorities in Indonesia", Studia Islamika: Indonesian Journal for Islamic Studies, vol. 15, (1) 2008.
- "Discourses on Democracy within Debates on Islam-State Relations in Indonesia", Journal of Indonesian Islam, vol. 2 (1) 2008.
- "Perda Berbasis Agama dan Perlindungan Konstitusional Penegakan HAM" [The Bylaws based on religion and constitutional protection of human rights], Journal Perempuan 60 (September 2008).
- "Pluralisme Hukum di Indonesia: Keberadaan Hukum Islam dalam Perundang-undangan Nasional", [Legal Pluralism in Indonesia: Islamic Law in National Legal System], Jurnal Harmoni 28 (Okt-Des 2008).
- "The influential legacy of Dutch Islamic policy on the formation of zakat (alms) law in modern Indonesia." Pacific Rim Law and Policy Journal 15 (3) 2006. Republished in Islam in Southeast Asia: Critical Concept of Islamic Studies vol. I. edited by Joseph Liow and Nadirsyah Hosen, London: Routledge, 2009.
- "Perkembangan Awal Hukum Islam di Nusantara" [The Early Developments of Islamic Law in the Archipelago], Jurnal Hukum Respublica 5, 2005.
- "Shari'a from Below in Aceh 1930s-1960s: Islamic Identity and the Right to Self Determination with Comparative Reference to the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF)", in Indonesia and Malay World, 32, 2004.
- "Min Nizam al-Qada' al-Munfarid Ila Nizam Majlis al-Qudat" [From the sole judge system to the council judge system], Studia Islamika Indonesian Journal for Islamic Studies, vol. 6, (2) 1999.
- "Pembebasan Perempuan di Dunia Muslim: Pemikiran Qasim Amin" [Women Liberation in the Muslim World: Qasim Amin's Thoughts], Jurnal Perempuan, no. 10, Feb-April 1999.
- "Mengungkap Aspek Teologis Pemikiran Hukum Islam: Studi Konsep Husn dan Qubh" [Exploring Theological Aspects of Islamic Legal Thought: A Study of the Concept of Husn and Qubh], Jurnal Mimbar Agama dan Budaya, no. 36, vol. XV. 1998.
Chapters in Books
- "'Muslim politics' in Indonesia's Democratization: Religious Majority and the Rights of Minorities in the Post New Order Era." Democracy and the promise of good governance. Indonesia Update Series 2006. Edited by Andrew MacIntyre and Ross McLeod. Singapore: ISEAS, 2007.
- "Legal Islamization and the Challenges of Human Rights in Indonesia." Enlightenment from within: discourses of governance, economics and religion in contemporary Indonesia, edited by Faried F. Saenong and Eko N.M. Saputro, Canberra: Minaret, 2007
- "The state and shari'a in the perspective of Indonesian legal politics", Shari'a and Politics in Modern Indonesia, edited by Salim and Azra Singapore: ISEAS, 2003
- "Zakat administration in politics of Indonesian new order" Shari'a and Politics in Modern Indonesia, edited by Salim and Azra Singapore: ISEAS, 2003
- "Shari'a in Indonesia's current transition" Shari'a and Politics in Modern Indonesia, edited by Salim and Azra Singapore: ISEAS, 2003
- "Negara dan Syariat dalam Perspektif Politik Hukum Indonesia" [The State and Islamic Shari`a in Indonesian Legal Political Perspectives] in Syariat Islam: Pandangan Muslim Liberal, edited by Burhanuddin, Jakarta: JIL, 2003
- "Pengelolaan Zakat dalam Politik Orde Baru" [Zakat Management under the Politics of the New Order Regime] in Problematika Zakat Kontemporer: Artikulasi Proses Sosial Bangsa, edited by Muhtar Sadili and Amru. Jakarta: Forum Zakat, 2003
- "Islam di Antara Dua Demokrasi" [Islam between Two Democracies] in Wajah Liberal Islam di Indonesia edited by Luthfi Assyaukanie, Jakarta: Islib, 2002.
Workshops, Seminars, Conference Presentations
Constitutional Revision: Indonesian case study, The European Union Institute for Security Studies (EUISS) in cooperation with the Association for Research on Democracy and Development, Tunis, March 2012.
State, Politics and the Religion: The Indonesia Experience, The European Union Institute for Security Studies (EUISS) in cooperation with the Arab Forum for Alternatives, Egypt, March 2012.
Law, Politics and the State in Muslim Contexts, Syarif Hidayatullah State Islamic University, Indonesia, April 2012.
Prospects of the Implementation of Shari`a in the Aftermath of the 2012 Aceh Governor Election, International Center for Aceh and Indian Ocean Studies in cooperation with The Aceh Institute, Indonesia, April 2012.