Aga Khan University will be an autonomous, international institution of distinction, primarily serving the developing world and Muslim societies in innovative and enduring ways.
AKU is committed to the development of human capacities through the discovery and dissemination of knowledge, and application through service.
It seeks to prepare individuals for constructive and exemplary leadership roles, and shaping public and private policies, through strength in research and excellence in education, all dedicated to providing meaningful contributions to society.
To advance this mission, AKU will:
- Offer programmes of international quality
- Respond to identified needs in the countries and regions which it serves
- Prioritise teaching and research which will inform and underpin intellectual innovation and change
- Provide service to advance its educational and research mandate
- Foster and develop leadership capacity through its education and research programmes
- Assess its impact and effectiveness
- Promote access and equity by taking positive measures to make the University inclusive of all socio-economic groups, addressing the particular needs and circumstances of the disadvantaged; promoting the welfare and advancement of women
- Engage in knowledge networking and emerging technologies
- Add value by promoting partnership and networking across the Aga Khan Development Network and with other national and international institutions
As an international institution, in achieving its mission, AKU operates on the core principles of quality, relevance, impact and access.
Inspired by Islamic ethics, humanistic ideals and the philosophy of Aga Khan Development Network, the University is committed to building an environment that fosters intellectual freedom, distinction in scholarship, pluralism, compassion and humanity's collective responsibility for a sustainable physical, social and cultural environment.